National Park Service Carpenter in Mammoth Cave, Kentucky
About the Agency
*NOTE: This vacancy announcement has been extended until June 28, 2017. * This position is located in Mammoth Cave National Park, in the Maintenance Division. Please visit find a park for additional park information.
This is a Full-Time temporary position not-to-exceed 1039 regular hours (about 6 months) in a service year. Position may be terminated sooner or extended depending on management needs. Individuals selected under this vacancy announcement are eligible for rehire in subsequent service years.
This job announcement is open to receive applications from the first 100 applicants. The job announcement will remain open until either the quota of 100 applicants, or 06/28/2017 is reached. All applications submitted by 11:59 (EST) on the closing day will receive consideration, even those that exceed the 100 applicant limit.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid. All travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected employee.
Selectee will be performing all tasks associated with rehabilitating a building structure, included but not limited to; tearing down existing wooden and metal structural components, fabricating, constructing and assembling replacement components of the structure, painting, building from blueprints and schematics, light landscaping around structure, working atop ladders, roofs and other areas common to construction of a building and overseeing lower graded employees in performing all the above mentioned tasks.
- Not Required
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males.
To qualify for this position, you must have sufficient knowledge and ability in the following job-related factors:
- Ability to Do The Work of a Carpenter Without More Than Normal Supervision (SCREEN OUT)
- Technical Practices
- Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specifications, etc. (includes blueprint reading)
- Ability to Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment If your knowledge and ability in the SCREEN OUT factor above is not sufficient, you will receive no further consideration. In preparing your application, describe in detail the experience and training which you have had that specifically prepared you for this job and to perform the duties described for this job. Experience should be clearly described and documented in your resume. The qualifications reviewer will not assume performance of such duties by Job Titles alone. Address your knowledge, skills and/or abilities in the areas shown in the job-related factors.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no substitution of education for experience for Wage Grade (WG) positions.
- You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid State issued driver's license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle. You will also submit a photocopy of your valid State issued driver's license prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year, or more frequently if management determines such need exists. Lastly, you may be required to submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that discloses all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. Please indicate in your application whether you possess a valid State driver's license.
- You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided.
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the Occupational Questionnaire is received you will receive acknowledgement that your submission was successful. If you are among the most qualified candidates and your name is referred to the hiring official, you may be contacted directly for a possible interview. You will be notified of the status of your Application Package at the time candidates are referred for consideration, and when the selection process is complete.
Review our benefits
This announcement may be used to fill additional positions if identical vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.
Individuals selected under this vacancy announcement are eligible for the possibility of extensions or rehire in subsequent service years.
Physical Demands: Works at benches or while materials are on support which require considerable standing, stooping and bending. Also works on ladders and scaffolds requiring overhead reaching and working in awkward positions. Must occasionally lift and carry up to 40 pounds unassisted, and occasionally lift or move heavier items with the assistance of lifting devices or other workers.
Working Conditions: Work is done indoors and outdoors. Some work is performed in the shop area where incumbent is exposed to moderate or high noise levels from operating machinery, saw dust in the air, glue fumes, and hazards associated with woodworking and related power equipment. Incumbent is also exposed to the hazards of ladders and scaffolds and is subject to cuts, bruises and contusions. Incumbent is required to use protective devices such as earplugs, safety glasses, respirators, gloves, etc.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Click the following link for more information, https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=AlternateApplicationInformation.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/471835300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Salary Range: $22.05 to $25.73 / Per Hour
Series & Grade: WG-4607-9/9
Promotion Potential: 9
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 471835300
Job Announcement Number: SE-1630-MACA-17-10018069-DE